May 13, 2011

alchemy & inquiry on wave hill


On Mother's Day, Jennifer, Magnus and I saw a painting we liked a lot called "Aspidium, Aspenium, Pteris," (2011), at the Wave Hill Glyndor Gallery by the artist Philip Taaffe. The painting is part of a three-man show called 'Alchemy & Inquiry' Philip Taaffe, Fred Tomaselli, Terry Winters, (through June 19th). Jennifer has an affinity for nature and plants, which are sometimes my muse. The painting depicts an array of ferns in various sizes and colors ranging from shades of green to rust. The ferns sway elegantly layered atop one another, cohabiting in a simple familial nature. I looked up the meaning of the title and found aspidium to be a male fern, aspenium, a mother fern, and pteris to mean "with children."
Jennifer took me to Wave Hill on my birthday a few summers ago where we walked through scenic grounds, and where I did this drawing of a Dawn Redwood tree (a Metasequoia glyptostroboides).