December 30, 2010

the natural birth partner


My partner is 40 weeks pregnant. The baby inside of her is as big as a pumpkin. She is due any day now. I feel like I forgot everything I learned in birthing class and I'm still not through reading, The Birth Partner, A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Doulas and All Other Labor Companions.
Anxiety is what to expect when you're expecting. The trick, I think, is not to think too much over such an act of nature, because birthing is an animal instinct. I learned this from Dr. Michel Odent in the documentary film, "The Business of Being Born," where he refers to birth as, "an animal affair." It was the most meaningful piece of information I learned on my path as a birth partner. "The birthing process is a harmony of love, and flow of love hormones between mother and baby not to be disturbed or intervened with unless absolutely necessary..." I can respect that.
I used the drawing for Jennifer's baby shower invitation.