April 13, 2010

spring thawing


Upstate
Awaken in brightness to the sound of morning doves, I gazed out the window to see them. All I could make out were pine trees powered by sunshine reflecting off the pond. I noticed insects on the glass, fixed as I was, trying to make sense of the landscape. I studied the bugs for a while from my bed as they roamed around searching for a way out or something. I thought about killing them, freeing them, then not interfering. They gravitated to sunnier spots and buzzed erratically. Through a spider's web outside the window, my eye spotted a robin combing the ground for worms. Upon hearing the woodpecker it occurred to me I was half asleep and that the bugs were OK. They weren't trapped or dying to get out or anything. They were just responding to their surroundings, in accord, aroused by the sun.